Rise’s Legislative Priorities
During this year’s session of the Minnesota State Legislature, Rise is supporting the legislation brought forth by Best Life Alliance.
The main goals of this legislation are:
- Passing a wage increase for our direct care workers and other human services staff
- Changing the current inflation rate adjustment from every five years to every two years
- Securing funding to sustain and expand opportunities and choices for the people we serve
Opportunities to Get Involved
There are a number of ways to get involved in the legislative process, whether you are a person with a disability, a loved one, someone who works in disability services, or just a caring member of the community.
Here are some ways you can get involved in advocacy:
- Know who your legislators are. If you aren’t sure, you can click here and put in your home address. These are the people who will be voting on legislation that impacts you, and they are the best people to reach out to.
- Contact your legislators to let them know what is important to you. Maybe you care most about day training and habilitation services, or programs for people who are Deaf, Deaf-Blind and Hard of Hearing. Whatever has had an impact on you, let your legislators know how it has made a difference in your life. If you aren’t sure what to say, you can look at the scripts we have drafted here. You can also use this Best Life Alliance flyer for more information. We have provided you with information about contacting the Governor’s office below, as well as a link to the State Legislator website, where you can search for your representative and get their contact information
- Write a Letter to the Editor to your local newspaper. You can use this template to help you if you aren’t sure how to write one. This is a great way to engage your community in the issues that matter most to you! Remember: letters to the editor are best when they’re around 175 words, and it’s important that you personalize it as much as you’re comfortable by making it clear why this issue matters to you.Links to the submission forms for some newspapers you may have in your community are listed below. Other letter to the editor submission forms in the area can be found here, under “Online Services.”
ABC Newspapers (Anoka County)
Sun Focus (Columbia Heights, Fridley, Mounds View and New Brighton)
Sun Post (Brooklyn Park, Brooklyn Center, Robbinsdale, Crystal, New Hope and Golden Valley)
Sun Current: Edina, Richfield, Bloomington and Eden Prairie
- Become an advocacy volunteer! We are always looking for volunteers who are interested in advocating on behalf of the people we serve. For more information about becoming an advocacy volunteer, contact Zoe, Rachel, or Jackie.
- Attend a letter-writing workshop or another Rise-supported training session. Information about opportunities like this will be posted on our Facebook page. Click here to visit Rise’s page and ‘like us.’
Governor Mark Dayton’s office: