Tuesdays at the Capitol
Posted on Apr 05, 2016 |
Each Tuesday now through the end of the legislative session, May 10, The Minnesota Consortium for Citizens with Disabilities (MN-CCD) will host 'Tuesdays at the Capitol' from 10-11 a.m. in the DOT Cafeteria, 395 John Ireland Boulevard in downtown St. Paul.
The purpose is to help people share their stories about important disability services with legislators and to ensure there is a disability community presence at the Capitol during this session. This is a great opportunity for friends and family of Rise to join!
How to prepare for a Tuesday at the Capitol
- Email Kyle at firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know which Tuesday you plan to join us and how many will be in your group.
- You can attend on your own or encourage others to join you! We have many member organizations who co-host with us, so you'll always be in good company with fellow advocates and supportive staff!
- We strongly encourage you to meet with your legislators and Kyle can schedule you meetings with your legislators. Email Kyle with your home address and when you can meet.
Tell your story or your organization's (Rise's) story:
- We will work with you to prepare a one-page personal story to share with your legislators. This is an important part of getting ready for your legislative visit!
Planning your trip to the Capitol:
- If you plan to stay for lunch, you have a couple of options. You can bring food with you or purchase food in the accessible cafeteria of the Transportation Building.
- If you need assistance getting to the capitol, we might be able to help.
- The Capitol complex is undergoing renovations, and construction has impacted the location of accessible disability designated parking areas.
- If you plan on driving yourself, visit http://www.leg.state.mn.us/leg/faq/faqtoc.aspx?subject=14 to find directions, parking information and more tips about visiting the Capitol.
- We will also continue to update you as the 2016 legislative session progresses.
Each week of Tuesday at the Capitol we will provide:
- A briefing on current disability policy issues
- A one-page sheet with general speaking points around disability services to share with legislator
- Specific issue information when appropriate
- Legislative hearing schedule for the day with highlights of particularly relevant hearings
- Assistance with locating legislative offices and or accompanying advocates to meetings with legislators
- Assistance crafting personal disability service story or identifying legislators if not done beforehand
10:00 a.m. Gather in the Transportation Department Cafeteria (joined by tunnel to the State Office Building). 395 John Ireland Boulevard, Saint Paul, MN 55155
10:10 a.m. Briefing (welcome, guest legislator, current legislative developments of interest to disability community, distribute and review speaking points, review daily legislative schedule and relevant activities). Create an #MNAbilityMatters poster for use on social media.
10:45 a.m. Meet with your legislators and share your personal story (advocates are encouraged to attend hearings, explore the capitol and/or enjoy lunch before or after meetings)
For questions, call Kyle at (763) 783-2802 or email him at email@example.com